After School Daze - International Fan Forum for After School
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[DISCUSSION] Meaning behind Orange Caramel's 'Catallena' MV

2 posters

Go down

[DISCUSSION] Meaning behind Orange Caramel's 'Catallena' MV Empty [DISCUSSION] Meaning behind Orange Caramel's 'Catallena' MV

Post by Renzel Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:49 pm

In Kpop, we are fond of having simple and shallow to understand music videos but we all know that some has actually taken the next level incorporating deep meaning behind their music videos. And I guess, Orange Caramel is in, giving you a very simple colored-set music video having a very deep meaning and message behind it.

I have seen this comment of vinseop @allkpop.com

[DISCUSSION] Meaning behind Orange Caramel's 'Catallena' MV IF0dc92tHMbCB

Isn't it somehow correct? Now, let's look back to what is the concept of Catallena, to what is in the music video, to what is the meaning of the lyrics.

CONCEPT:

"It's about a woman or a person who's fussy. But even though she's fussy, you want to get close to her. For some reason, she's kind of cool. She seems really weird, but then again she seems kind of okay." -Raina and Lizzy

/Mirrors the fussy popular kpop groups who tries different concepts from cool, to weird to normal but still is popular and is likeable by the audience.

MUSIC VIDEO:

Orange Caramel plays the role of cheap, normal sushis (which hypothetically are the mainstream, normal kpop groups)
[DISCUSSION] Meaning behind Orange Caramel's 'Catallena' MV IbjN15x64DxfJI

A fat guy plays the role of an egg (this might be the symbolism of weird and unique kpop groups trying different and unusual concepts, notice that his price is higher than Orange Caramel? totally means, people like weird kpop groups more than usual ones)
[DISCUSSION] Meaning behind Orange Caramel's 'Catallena' MV Ibysm0ZyJlBQbR

A sexy girl and a masculine guy play the role of special sushis (a SEXY girl and a MASCULINE guy, doesn't this reflect to those kpop groups who have SEXY CONCEPTS? and here, notice that their price is higher than Orange Caramel, and higher than the Egg? yep. it might mean sexy concepts are tried by many kpop groups because it is more expensive, it is more controversial, therefor more popular)
[DISCUSSION] Meaning behind Orange Caramel's 'Catallena' MV Ih1Wq2rXJmfvS

Daesung as the special Octopus Sushi (Symbolism of the popular and stable kpop groups which are very expensive but despite their price, they are very popular)
[DISCUSSION] Meaning behind Orange Caramel's 'Catallena' MV IXXz4KhjpYtoK

LYRICS:

"Oh my, she’s so great, I’ve fallen for her
Even as a girl, I can see she’s so great
She’s temperamental but I want to see her
I want to know her, I want to dance with her"

It might pertain to some kpop girl groups wanting to be the same level as the top and popular girl groups, that even they, are impressed on how well they do and how well their concepts are.

"I don’t like her because she’s so chic
But even as a girl, I can see she’s so attractive
I’m angry but I want to dance for an hour, two hours
I want to play down to my very last bone"

They don't like them because of their attitude, but at the same time, they want to follow them.

"The hands that brush by are warm
Is she actually nice once you get to know her?"

Are they really nice and approachable once you get to know them? behind their image and behind the tv screens?

"My temperamental Catallena
Everyone is falling for her
Chic and proud, Catellena (red sun)
Jutti meri oye hoi hoi, I’m bewitched"

It states here that everyone is falling to them (popular girl groups), they are even bewitched thinking how come they're not as popular as them.

"Softly, softly, melting, melting
Shivering, shivering, trembling
I want to follow her"

Despite the fact that some kpop girl groups' popularity is melting, and they come to be shivering, trembling on the charts, they sill keep on wanting to follow them, copying and trying the same concept as those popular ones have.

Conclusion:
I just related them to each other. I am not 100% sure if this is the real meaning behind the MV, but looking at these data, It somehow convinced me that it really is. How about you guys?

What do you think is the meaning behind the MV? Share your opinions and thoughts below!
Renzel
Renzel
Admin

http://j-royale.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

[DISCUSSION] Meaning behind Orange Caramel's 'Catallena' MV Empty Re: [DISCUSSION] Meaning behind Orange Caramel's 'Catallena' MV

Post by angelaproffi Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:25 am

this meaning is wonderful and it can be right!
I read that another possible meaning (more general) is about apparence and how other see us (or someone). Everyone loves the Octopus, he's not cute o beautiful, but he's expensive, so people love it and want to be like him.
I think that this two meanings are similar, beacuse (a lot of time) the powerful groups have only the name, and just beacuse they're XXX or YYY, they wins awards ecc.
angelaproffi
angelaproffi
Pre-schooler

Back to top Go down