After School Daze - International Fan Forum for After School
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[DISCUSSION]Flash Back Choreography vs SNSD CMIYC choreography

Go down

[DISCUSSION]Flash Back Choreography vs SNSD CMIYC choreography Empty [DISCUSSION]Flash Back Choreography vs SNSD CMIYC choreography

Post by PlayboyzAdam Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:55 am

Hi...I've return to this forum to show people that After School's choreography is difficult even without the props(e.g. drums, poles).

This post is really a response to a discussion between @YooraSoshified(from twitter) and me and will follow off from the following tweets:

https://twitter.com/YooraSoshified/status/845907245237911552
https://twitter.com/YooraSoshified/status/845907860932341761
https://twitter.com/YooraSoshified/status/845908185353400321

I'll continue to respond to @YooraSoshified on twitter while updating this thread at the same time. If anyone else wants to join in the discussion, feel free.

@YooraSoshified you can continue to respond to me from twitter or a SNSD forum and give me links me your posts. There's no need for you to joined this forum just to continus the discussion.

@YooraSoshified for a former dancer you don't seem to recognise and appreciate the need for flexibility in dancing. Dance moves that require a greater deal of flexibility are inherently more difficult than dance moves that require less flexibility. Also, After School's Flash Back choreography requires more than just flexibility and body waves. Btw I have no idea what you are talking about when you mention 1:32 as you did not give the link for the video but regardless, how you feel while dancing to CMIYC and how dizzy it makes you are very poor indicators of the difficulty and complexity of CMIYC especially considering these criteria are subjective (i.e. how you feel is your opinion not necessarily everyone else). How about we use objective criteria that we can agree on to determine the difficulty/complexity of choreography? I will proceed to critique both CMIYC and Flash Back with criteria I consider to be objective and if you or anyone else don't agree with the objectivity of those criteria than we can discuss about that and change/delete or add more as needed.

The criteria I use to judge the difficulty /complexity of a choreography includes:

1) The physical requirements to perform the choreography. Physical requirements include physical strength, flexibility and endurance. The more strength, flexibility and endurance required, the harder the choreography.

2) The amount of control required to perform moves. This criterion is about how hard it is to perform the dance correctly and in time with the music.

3) How dynamic is the choreography. A choreography where the dance formations changes more frequently is more difficult than a choreography where the dance formations doesn't change much. A dance formation is the positions the dancers are in(relative to each other) at a given time. The more dynamic a choreography is the more the dancers have to move and remember where to move to.

3 other criteria I consider important for assessing the difficulty/complexity of choreography includes:

1) The level of co-ordination i.e. the level of difficulty to be positioned correctly relative to others in the dance formations.

2) The difficulty of the transition between dance formations(i.e. the change in dance formation). A change in dance formation occurs when at least one members breaks out of their current formation and goes into a new position.

3) How intricate are the dance moves (i.e. the level of detail). The more detailed the choreography is the more errors that can occur and therefore the harder it is to get right.

@YooraSoshified I've separated those other last 3 criteria because I don't think we are going to agree on them and I don't think I can objectively argue with them e.g I consider that transition from their panorama dance(see Flash Back video below) to the dance where it looks like Raina is pushing the members aside(2:43 to 2:50) to be difficult relative to the transitions in CMIYC but you can just say no it isn't and we'll just argue back and forth and get nowhere.

I've only listed those other 3 criteria because it is worth noting that they are important in the consideration of the difficulty/complexity of choreography but I'm not going make any arguments base on those last 3 criteria.

It should be noted that these criteria are only for assessing the difficulty/complexity of choreography. By themselves, these criteria are not for judging the quality of a choreography or the performance of a choreography.

The Flash Back video I'll be referring to is this one

The CMIYC video I'll be referring to is this one

For assessing the Flash Back video, pay attention to Nana. Nana performs every move perfectly since she is the embodiment of perfection.
[DISCUSSION]Flash Back Choreography vs SNSD CMIYC choreography Nana_i10

...while Lizzy is the embodiment of Lizzy so if you want a good laugh pay attention to her LOL although do take into consideration that Lizzy injured her ankle(I think it was) so that's why she's a mess.
[DISCUSSION]Flash Back Choreography vs SNSD CMIYC choreography Lizzy_10

Physical Difficulty in Choreography

In terms of physical strength. For catch me if you can, at no point does any of the dance moves require a great deal of physical strength. For Flash Back the moves where they squat down and then pull themselves up(at 2:25) requires that they pull up their entire body weight so that does require a fair bit of physical strength.

In terms of flexibility. For CMIYC some flexibility is required for the moves where they shake their shoulders(at 1:20) and hips(at 1:36) but not much. That amount of flexibility is consider standard to most dancers. For Flash Back a lot more flexibility is required like for that shoulder roll/body roll at(1:01) and also that body roll at (1:19 to 1:21 pay attention to Nana).

In terms of endurance. Both CMIYC and Flash Back are high tempo songs but Flash back requires more endurance as the dance moves are more intense, require more stength and the dance routine is more dynamic(I'll prove that point later).

Control

In terms of control. CMIYC is compose mainly of simple shoulder shakes, hip and hand waves, some spinning and a bit of chest popping so CMIYC really doesn't required a lot of control for its dance moves while Flash Back does have moves that require a lot of control like those body rolls I've previously mention. Those body rolls require a lot of core muscle control to time and perform and that move at 2:52 to 2:53 that required pulling yourself up from a squatting position while doing a body wave at the same time requires a lot of control in order to sync the body wave with the music.

How Dynamic is the Choreography

For CMIYC the times when they've proceeded to change dance formations is as follows.
0:39
0:47
0:54
1:03
1:10
1:40
1:48
1:58
2:14
2:27
2:34
2:50
2:58
3:03
3:13
3:18
3:25
3:36
3:54
So in total CMIYC has changed dance formations 19 times.

For Flash Back the times when they've proceeded to change dance formations is as follows.
0:10
0:17
0:24
0:33
0:35
0:39
0:46
0:49
1:02
1:04
1:12
1:20
1:27
1:34
1:38
1:49
1:54
2:00
2:04
2:11
2:15
2:34
2:45
3:04
3:07
In total the amount of times Flash Back changes dance formations is 25.

Therefore Flash Back's choreography is more difficult than CMIYC's choreography on that basis that it is more physically demanding(i.e requires more physical strength, more flexibility and more endurance), Flash Back also require more control and is also more dynamic.

P.S Incase anyone is wondering why we are doing Flash Back VS CMIYC instead of Flash Back VS ITNW, that is because we we've established that ITNW isn't that hard and plus Produce 101 ITNW team 1 does a better job than SNSD doing their remix version...not all SONEs are going to agree but still Haeyoung>Hyoyeon in ITNW.

@YooraSoshified posts like these of mine are the reason why I don't do critiques on twitter and by my standard this post lacks a lot of detail.

Last edited by PlayboyzAdam on Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:35 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : fixing spelling and grammar mistakes)

PlayboyzAdam
Fifth Grader

Back to top Go down