Status of After School

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Status of After School

Post by arhat on Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:39 am

Now that UEE has left, after the original five members, After School's future now looks uncertain.

After School hasn't come back since 2013, and from the news Lizzy's contract with Pledis is close to expiration, which makes Orange Caramel's future uncertain as well.

Do you guys think that After School and Orange Caramel are over? Even if After School does do a comeback, it won't be the same group as it before obviously. Moreso if the remaining five members' contracts are up for renewal soon, and if most, if not all, decide to leave. Which would leave Pledis no choice but to either disband After School and Orange Caramel, or to introduce a completely new lineup overall.

I also have to note that this forum and the parent website are pretty dead at this point too. The website hasn't updated since last year, and the most recent post on this forum, by PlaybozAdam, was made months ago and was the first since last year.

Sorry if I sound negative, but the way I see it, I think I'm being realistic here.

arhat
Pre-schooler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Status of After School

Post by intrepid on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:47 pm

Uee leaving isn’t really a “surprise” since she already said in an interview with Iigan Sports on April 1 2014 "I don't think there's much time left before I graduate from After School. In the past, my ambition to stand on stage rather than to act was strong, but these days, my ambition for acting has grown.  Whenever I think that, I feel that my graduation day is nearing.  I'm not saying I need to graduate right away, but I do feel like I need to pass on my position to my dongsaengs."

For me it’s clear she was going to leave and join an acting agency and I predicted as much over a year ago, the only thing I got wrong is I didn’t know the length of her contract which seems unusual being eight years, the only reason I think she didn’t officially graduate sooner is because Pledis was focusing on her acting career so she didn’t feel the need to do anything about it and just ran out her contract.
As for After school’s future I am not at all hopeful, their last Korean comeback was as you said 2013 which is way too long and any comeback now is like debuting a new group and very difficult and only getting more so the longer they wait but if you want my analysis I think it’s over and done bar the crying.

If I was to make a speculative breakdown and timeline some “evidence” to support this idea I would put it like this; When Jung A graduated Pledis made this statement, "Currently, the company is discussing After School's activities with the other members." That was in January 2016, I’m taking that as a positive statement that Pledis was willing to continue After School in some fashion but in May 2016 Nana removed the tags ‘After School’ and ‘Orange Caramel’ from her instagram account which at the time had 1.3 million followers, while that may mean nothing it’s still a very provocative move by Nana who is more than careful about what she does so I’m taking that as a sign the “talks” about After School didn’t go well and Nana was letting fans know it was over without actually saying “it’s over,” then on September 5th Lizzy said in an interview for her new show “Please Look After My Vanity 2” she said “I thought my source of income had dried up,” and explained, “Now that the end of my contract is nearing, [the company] isn’t giving me any work.” This is an explosive thing to say especially on a photo op for her new job which Pledis obviously got her plus she has had hosting jobs on a car show not long after this which finished around the end of the year plus a new one she’s on now, but I’m taking this as an indication that at least Lizzy thinks Pledis won’t renew her contract or she won’t renew it so Pledis is letting her dangle until it runs out, not a positive indication to be sure. Lastly there was something said by a member of Pristin which is a little bit of a stretch as evidence but bare with me, after losing two members of After School any future would include adding new members given that After Schools whole concept is the graduating one, and to add new members you would have to have trainees ready to go, but all the trainees that anyone even knows about are currently now in Pristin, which goes to what one of the girls said, “The company suddenly said to us one day, do you want to debut together? And that’s how we came to be.” Given that Yebin (Rena) said during Produce 101 that she was worried because going back to her company is no guarantee of debuting to everyone we know in Pledis is now in Pristin means that there is no longer any trainees ready to go to add to After School, at least none we know of.

Could After School continue as five members? Sure that’s possible but you can’t lose anyone else, if Uee had an eight year contract and we assume Nana and Raina and Lizzy do too then Nana and Raina’s contract are due at the end of October or end of November which is only three or four months away, I’ve said this before, they are the line you can’t cross, lose even one of these girls and it’s over for sure.

There is one last thing which I’ve seen that may indicate After School may already be dead and we just don’t know about it but Orange Caramel “may” still exist (maybe because the OC girls have a separate contract for being in OC?)

http://www.pledis.co.kr/html/notice.html?mode=v&bbs_data=aWR4PTYzJnN0YXJ0UGFnZT0mbGlzdE5vPTI2JnRhYmxlPWNzX2Jic19kYXRhJmNvZGU9bm90aWNlJnNlYXJjaF9pdGVtPSZzZWFyY2hfb3JkZXI9||&bgu=view

Everyone but After School is on this poster which seems like a large omission to leave out the longest running group in your company, unless that is it no longer exists. Sad
intrepid
Second Grader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PlayboyzAdam on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:29 am

arhat wrote:Do you guys think that After School and Orange Caramel are over?
Nope Very Happy

arhat wrote:Even if After School does do a comeback, it won't be the same group as it before obviously.
After Schools has never come back the same as their previous promotions. There's always been changes in After School whether it's the evolution of their skills, member lineup, their relationship with each other or this fandom.

arhat wrote:I also have to note that this forum and the parent website are pretty dead at this point too.
I remember Shu saying(on twitter) that ASdaze will be on hiatus.

intrepid wrote:but in May 2016 Nana removed the tags ‘After School’ and ‘Orange Caramel’ from her instagram account which at the time had 1.3 million followers, while that may mean nothing it’s still a very provocative move by Nana
I'm not worried about Nana removing After School from her instagram. In August 2016 Nana made it clear that even though she enjoyed acting and has a strong desire to try other roles and characters, singing is her main job and she wants to stand on stage soon. Even though arrangements haven’t been made for the next comeback yet but once they have, she wants to prepare and come back. See https://www.soompi.com/2016/08/24/nana-reflects-2-year-preparation-future-singing-acting-career/ for more info.

intrepid wrote:then on September 5th Lizzy said in an interview for her new show “Please Look After My Vanity 2” she said “I thought my source of income had dried up,” and explained, “Now that the end of my contract is nearing, [the company] isn’t giving me any work.” This is an explosive thing to say especially on a photo op for her new job which Pledis obviously got her plus she has had hosting jobs on a car show not long after this which finished around the end of the year plus a new one she’s on now, but I’m taking this as an indication that at least Lizzy thinks Pledis won’t renew her contract or she won’t renew it so Pledis is letting her dangle until it runs out, not a positive indication to be sure.
Not sure what Lizzy is doing or trying to do but regardless, it is clear that Pledis is not letting her dangle until her contract runs out as she was suggesting. You've aleady pointed out that Lizzy has already(seemingly at least) contradicted herslef by saying Pledis isn't giving her any more work at an interview for a photoshoot for “Please Look After My Vanity 2” BUT pledis obviously got for her the job and the there were other jobs Pledis got for her after that one. I remember multiple times where Lizzy has been grateful to Pledis and praised them so for her to say that does not seem like a positive indication...or she could have been joking or actually drunk at the the of saying that.

intrepid wrote:Could After School continue as five members?
You've heard me say this before but I'm going to repeat it anyway. After School start with 5 members. 3 core performers and 2 backup singingers/dancers. After School can continued exactly as they have started i.e. 3 core performing members(orange caramel) and 2 backup singers/dancers(E-young and Kaeun).

intrepid wrote:There is one last thing which I’ve seen that may indicate After School may already be dead and we just don’t know about it but Orange Caramel “may” still exist (maybe because the OC girls have a separate contract for being in OC?)

http://www.pledis.co.kr/html/notice.html?mode=v&bbs_data=aWR4PTYzJnN0YXJ0UGFnZT0mbGlzdE5vPTI2JnRhYmxlPWNzX2Jic19kYXRhJmNvZGU9bm90aWNlJnNlYXJjaF9pdGVtPSZzZWFyY2hfb3JkZXI9||&bgu=view

Everyone but After School is on this poster which seems like a large omission to leave out the longest running group in your company, unless that is it no longer exists.
This could be an indication of After School may already be dead(although I don't think that's the case) or it could be an example of Pledis' incompetence. Which ever is the case Pledis deserves to burn for their blasphemy.

PlayboyzAdam
Fifth Grader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by arhat on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:51 pm

With all due respect PlayboyzAdam, either you are a great fan with great faith, or you're a bit of a fanatic...

Overall, let's wait and see shall we? 4 years is still a long time, and all the members before OC have left both AS and also Pledis altogether. The group's character is going to be quite different if it comes back as is.

I have to note, two members added to OC and it becomes a completely different group that is AS as it is now.

Pledis doesn't list Pristin on its artists page, while After School is listed, and with an outdated lineup...

arhat
Pre-schooler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by intrepid on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:36 am

PlayboyzAdam, I’m a pessimist and a realist which means I don’t have either much faith or hope that After School is ever going to come back; over the last year after I wrote my opinion piece I’ve have seen the continuation of the second generation girl group decimation, groups that I thought would continue on until the ten year mark like 2NE1 and Sistar, two of the three top tier groups of their generation are no more, being top tier and also being groups more focused on music with members more known for being in the group than what they did out of it I calculated they would extend their contracts, but that didn’t happen.

After School has withdrawn from the music scene completely, in 2014 they still did the music festival circuit as a group, Orange Caramel as well, in 2015 it was mostly Orange Caramel and in 2016/2017 neither.

With no new members and no new music and no music festival circuit to remind people they still exist, After School has lost relevance to the public and they were a mid-tier group at best to start with, they can’t afford to lose touch with their audience and yet they have, and over the last three years they have lost three members, to me it looks grim.

I’ve been increasing my understanding of how kpop works over the last year and everything I’ve learnt only supports my opinion that After School/Orange Caramel is dead, I hope I’m wrong, I wish I’m wrong but I don’t believe I am, anyway we’ll probably find out by the end of the year.
intrepid
Second Grader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top